The last few days our customers experienced some referral traffic spam in Google Analytics from a website called local-seo-for-multiple-locations.com.
How to block this spam?
To block local-seo-for-multiple-locations.com as a referral you have to follow the next steps:
- 1. Open in Google Analytics the "Admin" section, go to "View" (the right column) and select "Filters".
- 2. Click on the "+ ADD FILTER" button to exclude the results.
- 3. Enter a filter name that you can remember, something like "block local-seo-for-multiple-locations.com".
- 4. By the "Filter Type" you have to select the "Custom" option.
- 5. Select the "Exclude" radio option. Then the "Filter Field" will popup where you can select "Campaign Source". As the "Filter Pattern" you have to enter the domain, the will look like "local-seo-for-multiple-locations.com".
- 5.1. It's also possible to filter multiple domains at the same time, this can be done by adding a "|" between the domains. Then the "Filter Pattern" will look something like this: "local-seo-for-multiple-locations.com|my-other-spam-domain.com|my-second-spam-domain.com".
- 6. To save this filter, scroll down and click the "Save" button.
The filter will be applied on all data that's captured by Google Analytics. To verify that your filter is working you can click the "Verify this filter" link when you create or edit the filter.